The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

Toxic shrub


A PLANT which holds enough toxin in one leaf to kill a human is being sold at UK gardening stores.

Evergreen shrub Nerium oleander has been linked to 850 US poisonings and to scores of animal deaths.

The potential danger emerged on the day The Sun told how at least 1,000 Britons had been burned by Chinese-made sofas, sprayed with a fungicide to stop them going mouldy in storage.

Stockists of the £3.98 oleander include B&Q and Wyevale. All parts are poisonous and can cause vomiting, dizziness, and in extreme cases heart attacks.

Shopper Angela Reeves, 57, bought two in Brighton and discovered the hazard while looking for planting tips on the internet. She said: “There is a very small warning on the side, but I didn’t notice it.”

B&Q said: “We recommend, as with any toxic plants, they are kept out of the reach of children.”

More blog posts by jackie46

Previous post: TV's Monty Don has a stroke.

Next post: My broken panel in greenhouse!!



my god jackie, i certainly wont be looking to buy this plant. thanks for this news.

30 May, 2008


I have seen these on sale at B & Q over here in Jersey this week!

30 May, 2008


Let's not get carried away with this. Many plants are poisonous including aconitums, foxgloves, rhubarb leaves and daffodil bulbs but many gardens contain all of these. Common sense should prevail - wash your hands after gardening and don't eat anything from the garden if you don't know what it is

30 May, 2008


Well said, Andrew! Yes, we do need to know what is poisonous, especially if there are small children and/or pets in the family. However, there are many, many plants/bulbs etc that would give you a tummy ache if you ate them - so some sense and training is needed. Small children can be taught NOT to touch anything unless Mummy/Daddy says so. pets don't usually eat things that would upset them, they do seem to know somehow, but obviously keep an eye on them!.

30 May, 2008


i wonder tho do amateur gardener's know some plants are poisonous? i did know about foxgloves and daffodil bulbs, but im sure theres lots that i dont know about yet. i cant wear gloves when im gardening but yep i have the sense to wash my hands after gardening lol. it is true that animals seem to know what is safe to to eat in the garden and what is not , not sure about puppies tho so would be a god thing to keep an eye on them when they are in the garden.

30 May, 2008


When i potted up my new Delphiniums ealier this year i'm sure i read that they are poisonous. I'm sure that there are a lot of plants that are. I can remember when i used to work on the farm the cows used to eat loads of (i think Acorns, though not sure now) if they'd eaten too many it would make them ill.

31 May, 2008


i agree that toxic plants are quite the norm but i think growers who market them should put clear warnings with large letters on them. this would make it easier for people to choose safer plants. any parent knows that very young children will put anything in thier mouths, and poisonous plants should be avoided if possible

30 Aug, 2008

Add a comment

Featured on

Recent posts by jackie46