The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

My First "Twin Scaling"


By naoto


Since I read some people propagating galanthus by twin-scaling so I gave two varieties of mine a try last spring…..

One is,

“Lady Beatrix Stanley”. Started on 20/05/2013

The other one is,

“Augustus”. Started on 08/06/2013

I’ll skip the detailed procedure because it’s being debated everywhere so you can find and read it on the internet easily. Loosely speaking; sterilise all the equipment you use (including your hands!), then wash the bulb well, slice it (with basal plate) and sterilise it, mix it with wetty vermiculite and place it in darkness around 20c temperature.

One difference was that I used plastic containers with lids rather than plastic bags with strings. In my point of view, using plastic containers is better than bags because more secure, it’s air-tight so it could shut out all unwanted bacterias and I could see what was going on inside easily.

Three months later…..Voila!

“Lady Beatrix Stanley” (09/2013)

“Augustus” (09/2013)

Not perfect, but at least they’re not rotten and have produced some potential bulblets.

After that, I simply planted them in 50/50 of multi-purpose compost and vermiculite.

That’s all, folks! Peace!

More blog posts by naoto

Previous post: Auricula Theatre

Next post: Cyclamen Society Autumn Show @ Wisley 2013



I have never tried twin-scaling; never had the courage to make the first cut across a precious bulb. However, naoto, you did and seem to have done well! Congratulations.

6 Sep, 2013


You're very brave Naoto, I wouldn't know how or dare to try. Well done you!

6 Sep, 2013


Wonderful - clever you!

6 Sep, 2013


Well done you now the wait.a fascinating experiment none the less
I am hoping I may have a few flowers in 2014 from the ones I did in 2010,Have not tried any more although It did not prove that difficult.
my feeling is the more common ones increase nearly as quick in the ground.

6 Sep, 2013


Thank you for your comments!
.....and people call this "beginner's luck"........ ;-)

7 Sep, 2013


You did all the right things over a three month period that's not luck that's dedication the same as you have with all your other alpines you show us.

7 Sep, 2013


Thank you, Bjs!

I think I'll have another go with my G.nivalis lutescens (yellow snowdrop which is my favourite) next year if it produces an adequate size of bulblet. It only produced one small bulblet this spring so I couldn't use it for twin-scaling..... :-(

7 Sep, 2013


This is a great blog because you have taken us through each step. Can I ask what you used to sterilise the chopped up bulbs and how long did you leave them in the solution.

9 Apr, 2017


I used Fungus Fighter - diluted it as the instruction on the label says and soaked the sliced bulbs in the solution for 30mins. Good luck!

(FYI : as of replying this - some bulbs of Augustus didn't survive but still 4 or 5 bulbs are alive. LBS are fine, too)

9 Apr, 2017


Well done. Thank you for the info on the sterilising solution.

9 Apr, 2017

Add a comment

Recent posts by naoto

Members who like this blog

  • Gardening with friends since
    14 Aug, 2008

  • Gardening with friends since
    14 Jul, 2012

  • Gardening with friends since
    18 Jun, 2012

  • Gardening with friends since
    9 Aug, 2009

  • Gardening with friends since
    16 Mar, 2010