The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom Gb

Mould in compost
I've just opened a new bag and it has lots of white mould on it. (It was pretty wet) Do you think it would be OK to transplant seedlings into? I guess it would be safe for potting larger plants.



The mould is not harmful to plants but I would dry the compost off a bit and then give it a good mixing to break up the mould strands before using it. Compost should be stored and sold in a dry place but so many gaeden Centers keep it out in the open. I try to buy from places that store it under cover.

22 Apr, 2013


I agree BA, I try to do the same when buying it.

22 Apr, 2013


Clearly the best idea, but I do try to support my small local nursery. Many thanks for the good news - will try drying it out.

22 Apr, 2013


just leave it open in the greenhouse/shed it'll be dry in next to no time.

23 Apr, 2013

How do I say thanks?

Answer question


Not found an answer?