The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

Help identifying a tool needed


By Dioritt

Cheshire, United Kingdom Gb

I used to have a tool for loosening up the ground with that was long handled and had four prongs on the end. You just stuck it in and twisted it round. I've looked for one but can't see one and it's difficult to search online when I've no idea what they're called. Anybody know?



It sounds like a long handled weeding tool.
Long handle - cross piece at the base - spike on end of each cross arm pointing down. Sound familiar?

14 Jun, 2010


Yepp, that's the one! I had one and loved it more than any other tool. It was the only thing I could through my clay soil with. Is that what it's called, a long handled weeding tool?

15 Jun, 2010


Hmm. I was reminded of the "Garden Claw". Might be just a brand name of the same thing. I broke a couple on my adobe garden beds! : )

15 Jun, 2010


it definately sound like the garden claw, if os you should be able to get one from most garden centres

15 Jun, 2010


That's the name. I recognised it as soon as I 'heard' it. Thanks. I haven't seen them in either of our two local garden centres (or B&Q) so will probably have to look further afield. At least I know what I'm looking for now though :-)

15 Jun, 2010


Mmmmm! Yes! Like Tugbethil I think it is called a Claw, I still have mine but dont think to use it also a short hand held one for when I'm on my knees, I would think you could still get them from most big Garden Centre's or B&Q, just checked B&Q have them £5.98p & £3.48 for the short hand held as well, so other places may have them too.

15 Jun, 2010


'Garden Weasel' may have replaced the 'Claw'. so try 'Garden Weasel - Red Garden Claw'

15 Jun, 2010


I've just ordered a long handled garden claw from eBay. Will cost more than B&Q with the postage but easier for me as walking round a huge place like B&Q wears me out.

I saw the 'Garden Weasel' advertised but didn't get how it's used. Just Googled 'Red Garden Claw' but couldn't find any in the UK. Not to worry, though - I should soon have one :-)

15 Jun, 2010


I bought mine from Homebase..It did cost £14.99 but I had a voucher...To be honest it really is the best garden tool I could want....Would be lost without it now lol

15 Jun, 2010


That's how I felt about mine, Cazzalyn. I used it more than anything else so now that I have Mum's garden to look after and am planning to actually start sorting out the mess that passes for a garden here, I really wanted one again. I could never praise mine highly enough.

15 Jun, 2010


Sorry for any confusion, Dioritt, I didn't know the name of it. I just remember it being advertised as a weeding tool. :-)

15 Jun, 2010


No need to apologise :-)

16 Jun, 2010

How do I say thanks?

Answer question


Not found an answer?