The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

Cornwall, United Kingdom Gb

I'm making comfrey fertiliser and as you all will know it smells beyond disgusting, so it's in a brewing container with a tightfitting lid. However, when I checked it today to see how it was doing I found a thick layer of mould on top. Is it still usable? And if so, should I try to remove the mould or can I stir it into the delcious brew? Thanks.



My gut reaction says useable. I would think it would be better without the airtight lid.

30 Jun, 2015


Stir it in. Whenever I make it that's exactly what happens.
I find leaving the lid on just loosely helps.
I've just been advised to add a tablespoon of Epsom Salts to my latest brew - not sure why I've added it.

1 Jul, 2015


Thank you both. I'll hold my nose and sort it out tomorrow.

1 Jul, 2015

How do I say thanks?

Answer question


Not found an answer?