The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

By Rogi

NRW, Germany De

A few day ago I bought a very small Clematis plant, just a few inches tall with about 4 or 5 smal leaves on it. I have already planted it out in the garden, now I´m wondering if this was right and maybe I should have waited until it was a bit bigger, so should I leave it where it it is or should I take it out again and wait until it has got a bit bigger?.



I'd keep it in a tall pot and grow it on until it's like the ones you buy in Nurseries, Rogi, i.e. about knee-high or slightly more. Be careful if you do decide to pot it up - they hate having their roots disturbed.

14 Sep, 2010


Thanks for the answer Henry, that was what I was thinking as I was in the garden this evening, so when I down there tomorrow I will dig it up very carefully and re-plant it in a tall pot.

14 Sep, 2010


'Spritz' please, Rogi...Henry is my dog! He'll think you're talking to him. LOL.

Good luck with the Clematis. :-)

14 Sep, 2010


Sorry Spritzhenry, I didn´t mean to offend you.

15 Sep, 2010


You didn't! lol.

15 Sep, 2010


Just an update on my tiny clematis: I took it out of the ground and put it in a big pot and put this in the cold frame and it has now got some new leaves on it, also I´m keeping it well fingers crossed it might survive.

26 Sep, 2010


That sounds like good news. Keep it going! :-)))

27 Sep, 2010

How do I say thanks?

Answer question


Not found an answer?