The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

Herefordshire, United Kingdom Gb

One of my trees died last year when cut down it left a medium size stump, Could I buy a chemicle strong enough to kill the roots as well



Your question suggests that the stump is putting out growth - is that correct?

29 May, 2011


If it isn't I'd just grow something like a clematis over it.

29 May, 2011


Yes! the stump seems to produce some growth.
Thankyou Bamboo and Moongrowe.

29 May, 2011


You can buy a purpose made stump killer. You make a cut all the way round the top surface of the stump, (may need an axe!)and put the chemical down the slit you have made. Then cover the top of the stump with plastic and tie it on.

29 May, 2011


My recommended method is as follows - you'll need a drill with a medium sized woodbit and a bottle of SBK, a brushwood killer from the garden centre or Wilkinsons. Drill into the stump, making holes about a quarter to half inch deep, fill up the holes with the SBK and cover the stump with something - a paving slab, a sheet of plastic, whatever. Don't spill the SBK on the ground, nor on yourself - its like water, so care is required.

29 May, 2011


Thankyou Bamboo, Steragram.

30 May, 2011

How do I say thanks?

Answer question


Not found an answer?