The Garden Community for Garden Lovers

Somerset, United Kingdom Gb

Can anyone help me please, my twisted hazel is under attack from a small caterpillar and a small bug that looks like a blister on the branches, I have cut a few branches off as they were smothered in them, can any advise on what they are called and how to get rid of both please, Mike

P8270029 P8270029



Is that just a Shield bug like I get on my Bay tree ? Nothing to worry about.

29 Aug, 2011


It looks as though you have Hazel scale, its a scale insect which are tough to remove, best to spray with provado bugclear, although scale insect can be difficult to rid even with spraying, but by spraying aprox four times a year you should keep the scale away the plant.

29 Aug, 2011


definitely scale insect. if there is only a few as in the picture then you can wipe them off with cotton wool soaked in meths. If there are lots then you need to sray with a systemic insecticide.

29 Aug, 2011

How do I say thanks?

Answer question


Previous question

« my garden was is edible


Not found an answer?